Review: Some Boys by Patty Blount

Blurb



Some boys go too far. Some boys will break your heart. But one boy can make you whole.


When Grace meets Ian she's afraid. Afraid he'll reject her like the rest of the school, like her own family. After she accuses the town golden boy of rape, everyone turns against Grace. They call her a slut and a liar. But...Ian doesn't. He's funny and kind with secrets of his own.

But how do you trust the best friend of the boy who raped you? How do you believe in love?

A gut-wrenching, powerful love story told from alternating points of view by the acclaimed author of Send.

Review

Some boys are handsome.
Some boys are charming.
Some boys never grow up.
Some boys lie.
Some boys are abusive.

I did read this and I did hate it after I finished, but after a day or two I had to change my mind, I hated the judgment of people, not the book per se. This novel deals with the controversial subject of rape. It's about a girl named Grace, who pretends she's okay with people ostracising her, calling her a slut, making her life hell. It's about what happens to a girl and how she, the victim, is blamed by her peers, teachers and even at one point her crush. Everyone believes she lied - because how can the schools golden boy EVER rape a girl? He could have anyone he wants, right? WRONG. But, it doesn't stopping him from taking it anyway. She is a strong and fiery character, stood up for what she believed and didn't allow anyone to silence her. She had a voice. The other characters had voices i didn't like very much. (The reason I previously disliked this book.)


This is a dark, tempestuous story of do what's right, standing up for what you believe in, even when it's hard.

I did not like the male characters, but it could be said Blount was great at provoking such a strong reaction from me. These two quotes left me in a haze of anger, especially because many people do have this view, not just men.

The hero, I prefer him to have my devoted affection throughout a novel, this one didn't:


Ian:

"Why do girls not get that there's a fine line between looking good and asking for it"

 Grace's dad: 


"All you can do is control how you respond." He scans my body and smiles. "I think this is a great start. Dressing like a nice girl - "

Why? Because pretty girls don't get raped? Uh, NO! I was angry at how everyone handled it, except Grace, her mother and Ian's dad, they acted like parents SHOULD have. Even Ian was a moron at the beginning, towards the middle, but redeemed himself at the end.


No comments:

Post a Comment