Review: Confess by Colleen Hoover

Confess by Colleen Hoover
My Rating: 5 stars!!
Do you have a secret? One that you would take to the grave before telling? Everyone does.
I have to confess, this has to be my favourite Colleen Hoover novel now. This story doesn’t just pull on the heart strings, it snaps them, leaving you with unbearable pain and all consuming happiness.
It explores the lives of two characters, Auburn and Owen. Both have pasts they’d rather not share. Both feel alone and lost. These two intricate characters, or should I say people, since they don’t feel fictional, meet through what could only be fate. It’s a story of trust, and happiness even in the darkest of times. Owen is an artist, who uses people’s written confessions to inspire and be the name of his artwork and Auburn is a girl in desperate need for money, it just so happens Owen has a job vacancy.
From the very beginning I knew this novel would change my perspective on EVERYTHING. Eleven pages in and I was already a sobbing mess, yes, this book ripped my heart out and I mourned a character that I have never met before within those short amount of pages. Hoover, has this ability through her writing to reflect humanity in its rawest form, she lays bare her character’s souls so you can’t help but empathise and fall under a spell, a spell that makes you truly believe in these characters. And for a time, as always, her novels and her characters become my reality.
Hoover has this inspiring ability to hook me within the first page, I barely put down her novels to drink or eat. I read this novel as if I needed it to continue my supply of oxygen, that was how amazingly obsessed I was with this novel.
My favourite thing about ‘Confess’ is how unique it was by adding pictures of paintings to coincide with the story and the art Owen, the hero, had painted. It made everything feel more concrete and real. Because art is a passion of mine, I was fascinated by the whole idea of people’s darkest, often shameful confessions, inspiring art, but what could make this unusual idea even better? This –
“All of the confessions inside the book are true, and were submitted anonymously by readers.”
The very fact that these are people’s real, secrets and that she includes her readers words to add to and inspire her story, is amazingly unique.
Screen Shot 2016-01-12 at 20.05.40
Confession: “I’ll love you forever, even when I can’t.”
Screen Shot 2016-01-12 at 20.17.02
Confession: “You don’t exist, God. And if you do, you should be ashamed.”
Screen Shot 2016-01-12 at 20.14.05
Confession: “Sometimes I wonder if being dead would be easier than being his mother.”
As soon as I finished this novel, I had this choked feeling, this overwhelming tsunami of emotion, the ending had me feeling equal amounts of sorrow and joy. It was a remarkable, endearing and moving story of past and present love. It’s just beautiful, I barely have the words to describe it. Now, I have to admit I’m saddened that it has ended. I only hope I can find another book to give me this giddy feeling all over again.
I cannot recommend this more!

No comments:

Post a Comment