Review: The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh

The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh
My Rating: 5 Stars


 “The Victorian language of flowers was used to express emotions: honeysuckle for devotion, azaleas for passion and red roses for love.”

What a find! It was unexpected, popped up out of nowhere and as soon as I read the blurb I knew, I knew I just had to immerse myself in this story.
The Language of Flowers is about Victoria, and each chapter is written either in the past or the present. Victoria, at the age of 10 suffered in many foster homes before she ended up with a woman named Elizabeth. At first, convinced she was unworthy of love, Victoria purposely pushed Elizabeth away. Diffenbaugh wrote this exceptionally well, how family doesn’t have to
be related, but of your choosing. How everyone, no matter what, is worthy of love. I found myself rooting for Elizabeth and Victoria, overwhelmed by the characters relationship, how they understood each other’s pain for they both harboured guilt and a need for love. It was Elizabeth who taught Victoria the messages behind flowers, taught her another form of communication, which Victoria continued to use. As a reader, I knew, no matter how much I wanted it to, their happiness wasn’t going to last. Why? Because in the present, Victoria just turned 18 and has finally been released from foster care, legally no longer a child. The question is, why and how, since Elizabeth was supposed to be adopting her.
All of the characters were intricately developed, each of them had their own past, own traits, own stories. This made the whole story more intriguing, how the plot developed changed every character not just the main protagonists.
The Language of Flowers now has to be one of my favourite books. This book is an ode to everyone’s inner struggles, their flaws and  how no matter who you are, you are worthy of forgiveness, love and most of all happiness
I highly recommend! And the best part? Victoria’s Flower dictionary is at the back, so you can find the meanings to all the flowers mentioned and more!

3 comments:

  1. The prices of BloomThat Flower Delivery service are totally worth it, as their eye for arranging the flowers is not only amazing, but the flowers will easily last you 2+ weeks.

    ReplyDelete